Bob Dylan (born Robert Allen Zimmerman on May 24, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter, author, poet and painter who has been a major figure in popular music for five decades. As a songwriter, he pioneered several different schools of pop songwriting, from confessional singer/songwriter to hallucinatory, stream of conscious narratives. His early lyrics incorporated political, social, philosophical, and literary influences, defying existing pop music conventions and appealing widely to the counterculture. As a vocalist, he broke down the notion that a singer must have a conventionally good voice in order to perform, redefining the vocalist's role in popular music. As a musician, he sparked several subgenres, including electrified folk-rock and country-rock. The Beatles' shift toward introspective songwriting in the mid-'60s never would have happened without him... More information »
Bob Dylan's influence on popular music is incalculable.
All website links are to EXTERNAL WEBSITES, and open in new windows.
About Bob Dylan
About the music
Related websites »
- BobDylan.com: Official website
- Expecting Rain: includes daily news updates and tight community forum
- The Dylan Daily: news articles and opinions
- Picture Archive: comprehensive, date-organised picture gallery
- Dylan Radio: free, streaming 24/7 Dylan radio
- BobDylan.com recommended links
- BobLinks: a collection of the best Dylan links
Other interesting websites »
- Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" Artwork on Canvas by Shane Balkowitsch and Theo Cobb
- The Disgruntled Dylanologist: "There are two things in this world that get me worked up. The first is what's going on in this country. The second is Bob Dylan. This blog brings the two together."
- Hawk Stories: "Original stories inspired by a Dylan song, with selected verses sprinkled throughout."
- Visions of Dylan
If you would like to list your Dylan-related website here, then please let me know!